OLD train depot
corner of academy & railroad street
The coming of the railroad to Fort Mill in 1852 would spur a period of growth. The completion of the Charlotte and South Carolina (later the Charlotte, Columbia, and Augusta) Railroad through Fort Mill brought a more efficient and profitable way to move cotton to the markets. The first train arrived in Fort Mill on July 4, 1852. The train depot was located at the bottom of Main Street. It was torn down by the railroad in 1968.