Site of Ratterree's Corner
100 East Main Street
Architect: H.E. White and Julian S. Starr
Builder: Julian S. Starr
Built: circa 1920s
During the Civil War, John Ratterree and his wife, Martha Workman Ratterree, with their children, moved to the village of Rock Hill, which had become an important place for troop transfers and the storing of war supplies. On September 12, 1863, for $1,600., John Ratterree bought this southeast corner of Main Street and Depot Street, known for the next hundred years as “the Ratterree corner.” Ratterree and his family occupied the frame residence at this location and he at once entered the business. He was successful, acquiring wealth and political power. One writer has called him “the political lord of the community” during the years from 1866 to 1890.
Main Street was plagued with numerous fires in the 19th century and one destroyed the Ratterree’s business property.
After the fire of 1895, Mr. Ratterree once again put up several small frame buildings on Main Street for temporary use as store rooms. Then in the early part of 1900 the family decided to erect a large (75 by 100 feet) brick office and store building. The first floor was to have three store rooms and the second floor sixteen rooms for offices. The architect was Hugh E. White. A. E. Ratterree and Pride Ratterree, sons of John and Martha, had the old residence razed to make room for their new building. When the brick structure was begun, the frame buildings erected after the 1895 fire were rolled down to the Ratterree property on Depot Street. The brick building was used continuously from 1900 until it was destroyed in a spectacular, $200,000. fire on the night of October 12-13, 1953. Ratterree's Drug Company was then occupying the structure, together with several other well-developed establishments.
The old Ratterree corner buildings were razed to make room for the construction of Dave Lyle Blvd., which also replaced what was once Depot or Railroad Avenue, running parallel to the railroad.