Site of First Rock Hill Depot
101 West White Street
From time immemorial there had been a rocky knoll, the most remarkable feature in an otherwise undistinguished landscape, situated several miles east of what was known in the first half of the nineteenth century as the village of Ebenezerville, which consisted of ten or twelve houses, several general stores, and a Presbyterian church, all strung out along a dusty stretch of the Upper Land’s-ford Road. When surveyors charged with laying out a route for the projected rail line from Charlotte to Columbia came to the area of Ebenezerville in the late 1840’s, they took note of this well-known rocky knoll that was to play a part in the history of the future city of Rock Hill; and they soon learned that the country gentry who lived in the vicinity of Ebenezerville were not solicitous of having a railroad built through their Presbyterian enclave.
Accordingly, the surveyors chose a site for “the Ebenezer depot” that was two and one fourth miles east of the village itself. As it turned out, the spot was situated at the base of the rocky knoll aforesaid. The surveyors fulfilled the instructions given them by the owners of the railroad company to provide a depot for the Ebenezerville neighborhood, and at the same time they placed the depot where the local landowners supported the coming of the Iron Horse and were willing to provide the six acres needed for a depot lot. (We might just as well call it “a warehouse lot,” because this first railroad depot was nothing more than a community storehouse for produce and shipped goods. No provision was made for passengers. At least one early plat of the immediate area called the building a “Ware House.”)