Site of the Carolina Hotel
106 East Main Street
Architect: Walter and LeGare as well as H.E. White
Builder: A.D. Holler (Attributed)
Built: 1903 (Remodeled)
This East Main Street area, now houses an apartment complex was erected in 2017. Originally it encompassed several of Rock Hill’s early town lots on which the Roddey family constructed their antebellum mercantile empire. These included both the W. L. Roddey & Company and the Carolina Hotel. Their store and upscale hotel building was designed on a grand scale and flourished for decades, making both the Roddey family, their investors and senior staff very prosperous. The successful enterprise allowed the Roddey family to also invest in other town ventures and they became one of the city’s most influential voices in Rock Hill’s history.
Besides the sale of fashionable goods by the mercantile store, the location also housed the very popular Carolina Hotel on the second floor, over the Roddey's store. The hotel offered elegant rooms and at one time advertised hunting expeditions in the area could be arranged.
The W. L. Roddey & Company, which was eminently successful, lasting until 1893, when a new partnership was created by: W. L. Roddey, A. Fletcher Ruff, J. Edwin Roddey (Captain Roddey’s nephew and son of D. C. Roddey), James F. Reid, Samuel L. Reid, and Rufus E. Sadler, using the name Roddey Mercantile Company. After many years, a new arrangement was created, and the business was called Roddey-Poe Mercantile Company, a firm which lasted well into the twentieth century.
During urban renewal efforts of the late 1970s, this handsome building was demolished.