FrIEdheim Brothers & Co
113 East Main Street

Map

113 East Main Street today houses Wells Fargo and numerous other businesses

Downtown Rock Hill, S.C. showing the A. Friedheim and Bro. Store in 1902. Courtesy of the White Family Collection - 2008

Interior of old Friedheim's Department Store

Architect Hugh Edward White (1869 – 1939), who designed the store building, was born in Fort Mill, S.C.  He attended Fort Mill Academy and later graduated from Clemson College in 1898.  He started his practice in 1894 prior to completing his formal education. His first plan was for the Friedheim Department Store of Rock Hill.  According to a Rock Hill Research Paper #10 by Ms. Bessie L. Garrison – 1952, “White traveled with Julius and Sidney Friedheim to visit large stores in New Orleans, Washington, Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Chicago.  The rotunda and balcony of the Friedheim store was designed after Wanamaker’s Store in Philadelphia and the facade from Maison Blanche in New Orleans. The stone on the facade came from a quarry in Winnsboro, S.C.”  

8. Site of Union National Bank>