Site of Friedheim Hall
118 East White Street
1908 – A. Friedheim and Brothers
1917 – Marshall Sale and Feed Stable
1946 – Moore and Rast Auto Repairs
1963 – Moore’s Garage
This event space was one of several in Rock Hill, including a large Opera House. It was constructed on the second floor of the H.H. White Building and spilled over into the adjoining building. Friedheim’s Hall was a popular social area often referred to as the Friedheim’s Opera house but it appears it was more of a social area above the Friedheim’s stables and storage area which ran from the rear of the store to East White Street.
“Let us move across the tracks to East White Street, on the south side of the street, opposite the railroad shops. Here stood a large brick building erected by the Friedheims and called “Friedheim’s Hall.” Downstairs was a livery stable. Upstairs was a large assembly hall, where dramatic performances and music recitals and dances were held.” [Robbins – White Historic Tour]
It appears from the images that the original building was constructed with native stone, not brick. It is likely the Friedheim’s brick veneered the structure at a later date as they built the adjoining brick warehouses.