Site of the former rock Hill city hall  
120 Hampton Street

MAP

Current location of the City's parking lot on Hampton Street. The Rock Hill City Hall stood at this location prior to urban renewal efforts.

Architect:  Unknown

Builder:     Unknown

Built:         circa 1900

View of the Rock Hill City Hall and Fire Dept. Building on Hampton Street ca. 1930s.

Hampton Street in ca. 1970 during urban renewal.

A handsome dwelling, known for years at the Green Sadler home or the Frew’s Boarding house stood here.  The home were constructed in close proximity to downtown, to allow for ease of shopping, at a time when refrigeration was rare and household goods were purchased frequently. Those who could afford to live in the downtown residential area certainly took advantage of the convenience.

It was also this intersection, at which Confederate General Wade Hampton, rallied local citizens in the 1870s, to support his desire to become S.C. Governor.

Later, Mr. Sam Frew operated his boarding house here, one of the few residences constructed to face the corner of the lot, rather than one of the named streets. As Hampton Street turned from residential into a commercial and retail area in the early 20th century, numerous homes along the first block of Hampton were razed, including this fashionable dwelling.

The Herald Newspaper reported in 1902, that this lot, was one of a number offered for sale for the location of a proposed post office. This lot was identified as having been owned by Paul Workman, known as the Sadler lot where Mrs. M.A. Adams currently lives.  It had a frontage of 128 ft., on Hampton Street and 200 ft., on Black Street.

By the 1950s the area housed a number of small businesses from loan companies, cycle shops and Hege Jewelry Company.  By the fall of 1961 the buildings along this section of Hampton Street were being demolished to make room for city improvements.

18. Site of Saint John's Methodist parsonage