Dixie Home Store
121 Caldwell Street

MAP

Architect: Unknown

Builder:    J. E. Heland

Built:        1930s

 

The Dixie-Home Store in the 1950s.  Courtesy of the Jack Tucker photo collection at HRH

The old Caldwell home that sat at approximately this location

The house on this lot appears to have been constructed at the rear of the Caldwell’s original lot, possibly as an investment property of Dr. Louis Friedheim.  Friedheim was a prominent doctor, who lived and practiced his animal clinic out of his father’s Friedheim Hall stables on East White Street.

The Herald reported in 1919 that J.E. Heland had been contracted to build two garage buildings on Caldwell Street, adjacent to the hotel (unknown) building company.  W.B. Jenkins, brother-in-law to the Rev. F.W. Gregg of Rock Hill, was to move to the city and lease one of the garages. Since the city was considering the widening of Caldwell Street, the building was moved back.

The Herald reported on Nov. 26, 1941 – “That the new Dixie Home Store will open tomorrow at this location.  A B. Cook will be the manager, coming from Gastonia.  The Assistant Manager is J. C. Parratt.”

This lot has since served as several businesses, the Dixie Home Store, a dry cleaners, martinizing company, and most recently, the Millstone Pizza Restaurant and Provisions.