Site of Frew's Boarding House  
126 Hampton Street

MAP

Current location of the Historic Marker (Corner of Hampton and East Black Streets).

Architect:  Unknown

Builder:     Unknown

Built:         circa 1870s

Float at the corner of Hampton and East Black Streets.  Home constructed by the Hope family in ca. 1871, became the Frew's Boarding House.

Sanborn Map showing the location of the Frew's Boarding House as well as the family's foundry, which once was located in front of what is in 2018, Kinch's Restaurant. (Click to enlarge.)

A handsome dwelling, known for years as the Green Sadler home or the Frew’s Boarding house stood here.  The home were constructed in close proximity to downtown, to allow for ease of shopping, at a time when refrigeration was rare, and household goods were purchased frequently. Those who could afford to live in the downtown residential area certainly took advantage of the convenience.

It was also this intersection, at which former Confederate General Wade Hampton, rallied local citizens in the 1870s, to support his desire to become S.C. Governor, and have Federal troops removed from the state.

 1920s view of Hampton Street showing the old City Hall mid left. 

1920s view of Hampton Street showing the old City Hall mid left. 

Later, Mr. Sam Frew operated his boarding house here, one of the few residences constructed to face the corner of the lot, rather than one of the named streets. As Hampton Street turned from residential into a commercial usage and a retail area for office supply and printing needs, numerous homes along the first block of Hampton were razed, including this fashionable dwelling.

The Herald Newspaper reported in 1902, that this lot, was one of a number offered for sale for the location of a proposed post office. This lot was identified as having been owned by Paul Workman, known as the Sadler lot where Mrs. M.A. Adams currently lives.  It had a frontage of 128 ft., on Hampton Street and 200 ft., on Black Street.

By the 1950s the area housed a number of small businesses from loan companies, cycle shops and Hege Jewelry Company.  By the fall of 1961 the buildings along this section of Hampton Street were being demolished to make room for city improvements.

16. site of former Rock Hill City Hall