130 Reid Street
Builder: W.G. Adams
Built: circa 1889
Northeast of the Poag house was a house that was almost a copy of the Pink Poag house. This was the residence of Mr. Pink’s brother E. E. Poag, longtime postmaster of Rock Hill. This house, like its twin next door, was rolled around to Reid Street, up the street from the other house, in 1905. It was also built in 1889. The E. M. Robbins family lived there on Reid Street in later years. Reid Street was opened in 1904 by the owner of the property, Mrs. A. Hutch White, following the death of her husband, Major Hutch White in 1903.
By 1908, the Robbins family had moved to Rock Hill, and was living at 130 Reid Street. The house they owned was originally built on East Main Street in 1889 by Rock Hill contractor W. G. Adams, who most likely also constructed the house at #110 Reid Street.
The Rock Hill Record reported on Jan. 10, 1908 – “That Mr. E.M. Robbins who for some time held a position with S.H. McManus as salesman, has resigned and will accept a position with the Steele’s Mineral Springs Bottling works. Mr. Woods M. Steele, who is proprietor of the plant has erected a building on Black Street near the Graded School building, and will bottle all kinds of soft drinks with the celebrated Steele’s Mineral water. He hopes to begin operation Feb. 1st, he will also bottle coco cola.”
Longtime occupant and local historian of the community, Ms. Maggie Robbins continued to live in the home and rented rooms in the house and in the small houses on the lot. She is reported in various City Directories as working as a stenographer, bookkeeper, and clerk. By the 1930s, she was working as a stenographer at the Industrial Mill, and eventually retired from that job. She never married. She was active in First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church and was a charter member of the Saturday Afternoon Book Club. Maggie died in August 1984, ending the Robbins family residence at 130 Reid Street.