Crawford and Roddey Building
144 East Main Street
Architect: Julian S. Starr
Builder: Julian S. Starr
Historically, on the corner, next door to the old Belk’s Department Store location, once stood the famous Gordon’s Hotel, owned and operated by David Gordon, an Irish immigrant. In all the early records Gordon’s Hotel was specified as “the geographical center of Rock Hill.” It was certainly a community gathering place. On a portion of the Gordon lot was Mr. Cook’s peanut stand, known to everybody in town in those days. You could buy freshly parched peanuts and some very good candy.
The Rock Hill Record, one of the city’s early newspapers, reported on May 30, 1907 - "W.G. Reid and Son are ready to move into their new quarters in the Crawford and Roddey Building. This will be one of the largest furniture showrooms in the South. The storeroom vacated by the company will be occupied by W.W. Gill, grocer, who will move from the Record Building."
The Reid family operated their highly successful furniture store and undertaking business at this location for two decades. As Rock Hill flourished economically in the 20th century, as mills were constructed, Winthrop College grew, and new enterprises opened in Rock Hill, the need for home furnishings was big business. Both the Bass and Reid Furniture Companies on Main Street prospered during this period and only closed their showrooms with the coming of the Great Depression.
The Record later reported on Aug. 19, 1929 - "Rayless Store is to open Sat. Sept. 7, 1929 in the renovated old W.G. Reid & Son furniture building."
W.G. Reid and Son as well as Rayless's Dept. Store occupied the corner building as well as the brick building immediately to the right next to Belk's Dept. Store.