Old Citizens Bank
157 East Main Street
Architect: Charles C. Hartman
Builder: Walter Kidde Company of New York
The Herald reported in 1925 that architect Charles Conrad Hartmann was contracted to build the Citizens Building, at a cost of $110,000. In April of that year the foundation was poured and the brick work had begun.
Ten years later the building was reported to be auctioned for $25,000 to Claude R. Davenport. Davenport, of Richmond, Virginia, represented the Nolting Mortgage Company. In 1940, then as the Metropolitan Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the building was purchased by Rock Hill businessman H.H. Carroll. The Herald described it as a, “…five story building, which stands at the intersection of Main and Caldwell Streets…is one of the most modern office buildings in the city.”
The building has been home to countless Rock Hill businesses throughout the years, including insurance companies, doctor’s offices, clothing and jewelry stores and beauty shops.