OLD MCFADDEN MOTOR COMPANY
212 East Main Street
Built: circa 1918-20
In 1859, the Indian-Land Chronicle reported that Dr. Robert C. Hanna, one of Rock Hill’s first physicians, had purchased this lot from A.T. Black. Sometime in the following year, Dr. Hanna acquired roughly 30 feet of an adjoining lot, creating a one-acre tract of land. The larger lot was sold in 1860 to Thomas E. Roddy for $400.
Roddey was killed during the Civil War, on October 18, 1861. Following his death, the house changed hands many times over the next few decades, and was purchased in 1893 as a medical practice, by Dr. Thomas Allison Crawford and his partner Dr. W. Frank Strait, who was Rock Hill’s first surgeon. Failing health led Dr. Strait to sell his half of the interest to Crawford in 1897.
From time to time, Crawford would sell off portions of the lot, as he did in 1918 to D.B. McFadden. McFadden built a large, two-story brick building to house his automobile agency. This structure became known as the McFadden Building, and went on to serve as the Soil Conservation offices and other related business ventures. The remaining part of the lot has housed many businesses over the years, including the Bass Furniture Company and Funeral Directors, two car companies, the Singer Sewing Machine Company, and the Hat and Bridal Shoppe.
The Herald reported on April 24, 1931 - "T.W. Huey has purchased the stock of his partner, D.B. McFadden in the local Chevrolet Agency, which operates as McFadden - Huey Chevrolet Company, Inc. The business will continue in its current location across from the Post Office. Mr. McFadden is proprietor of City Motor Company, next to the Chevrolet Agency, and will continue running it."