Old First Baptist Church
215 East Main Street
Architect: Hook and Rogers
As the First Baptist Church of Rock Hill grew over the years since its inception, the need for a larger church building became apparent. At first, a site on White Street was purchased, but the congregation was not united in support for this site. In 1916, a lot on Main Street became available, and it was purchased for $17,498. A portion of this land facing Oakland Avenue was sold to the Peoples Trust Company for $10,250 the next year, helping to defray the cost. The congregation of about 300 members decided to build a large and imposing building on the new lot, and a Mr. Padgett was contracted to do the work for $125,000. The new building was completed in 1923. The old church on Hampton Street was sold in 1920 to the Record Printing Company for $10,000. The Rock Hill Record was printed there for a number of years. The Hampton Street site is now part of the City Hall complex.
In 2003, the congregation decided to leave its downtown facility in order to accommodate growth, and a new church was built on Dave Lyle Boulevard. The last service was held in the Main Street church in 2004, and later that year it was sold to Freedom Temple Ministries.