site of the flowers home
331 East Main Street
Builder: A.D. Holler
The Rock Hill Herald reported on April 25, 1889 - "The cottage of T. O. Flowers is nearly ready for occupancy.”
Built in circa 1889, the T.O. Flowers home was originally a simple frame dwelling, enlarged and enhanced in 1909 by architect Julian Starr of Rock Hill, S.C., who was known to have been buying large parcels along East Main Street and subdividing lots to allow new home construction. Many of his homes are recognizable due to his repeated use of large Corinthian columns, curving porches and grand features to embellish and modernize the appearance of older Queen Anne style houses.
Three historic dwellings once stood where Fountain Park Place is located. These included the homes of the Fewell, Flowers and Hambright families. During much of the mid 20th century, the Flowers house was later used as the headquarters of Bass Funeral Home.
The Flower’s home, which at this time retained only a few of its original architectural components, was demolished in 2012, to make room for development of East Main Street - the Fountain Park Plaza.