Old Poag Home
110 Reid Street
Builder: W.G. Adams
Built: circa 1888-90
By the 1870s, houses were being built along East Main Street several blocks from the originally platted area of the community. In 1888, the first public graded school was built nearby on Black Street. Central School served the community for many years, and today the site of the school is occupied by the Central Child Development Center. A street was opened between Main and Black which terminated at the school. Originally called Academy Street, the name was later changed to Confederate Avenue. Reid Street, parallel to North Confederate Avenue, was a new street allowing the White Family to subdivide lots along the rear of their property. The opening of these new streets just before and after the turn of the century, herald the rapid moving of and construction of houses.
Built circa 1889, this house was moved to this site, from its original location at the northeast corner of East Main and Reid Streets in 1905. Built in a late Victorian style the house features a hipped roof with gable extensions over the side and rear. This style was very popular along East Main Street in the late 19th century but were quickly replaced with more modern structures. Only a few of these examples remain, having been saved due to having been moved to side streets including North Confederate and Reid.
The families who moved into this neighborhood were largely middle-class business or professional families. Most worked in the downtown area, only a two to three block walk away.