site of kimball home and stables
222 East Main Street
Architect: South State Bank (Sadler and Kent)
Builder: Taylor Family (Original Home)
Built: Ca. 1860s
In 1863, John Ratterree, one of Rock Hill’s early merchants purchased this parcel, which is thought to have contained a frame house. Ratterree quickly sold the property to Adam W. Taylor, who probably used it for rental income. In 1876, the Keesler family, who had rented the house in the 1860’s, purchased the land for $600. After the elder Keesler family members passed away in 1890, the house was sold once again, this time to local livery owner, Mr. S. J. Kimball.
The Rock Hill Record contained an ad on June 25, 1908, for the Rock Hill Buggy Company, "A Little Higher in Price - But..." - S.J. Kimball and Son, Sales
The Kimball’s lived in the old Keesler house until 1892, when Mr. Kimball built an attractive five-room cottage, surrounding it with lovely gardens and shade trees. From the 1890’s until the 1920’s, the home was known as “the Kimball place.” Besides living here, the family also maintained a large livery - stables business on the property.
Over time, the lot ceased to be used for residential property and was divided into commercial lots. Throughout the last century, it has been used as the site of Roddy Reid’s very popular filling station and the headquarters of the Rock Hill National Bank, the Colonial style structure currently on the corner of East Main and Oakland Avenue. Until recently, the building was also used by Bank of America, and in 2015 it became the site of South State Bank.